Caring for Sterling Silver
Sterling Silver is a wonderful and gorgeous precious metal that can last a lifetime with proper care. Below is a list of things that you can do to ensure long lasting enjoyment of your Sterling Silver piece.
1) Use it frequently. What better way to enjoy your silver piece that to proudly show it off. Silver tarnishes over time, but non-use can accelerate this especially if the piece is not properly stored.
2) Treat your silver jewelry with care.
- As much as possible, apply perfume / lotion / other chemically harsh products BEFORE putting on your jewelry. Direct contact with these chemicals could tarnish or even damage your gorgeous piece.
- Don’t wear your silver piece in a pool. Chlorine is another harsh chemical that you want to avoid contact with your silver jewelry.
3) Store your piece in an anti-tarnish flannel jewelry pouch. Sterling silver is a soft metal and storing your jewelry in a flannel pouch helps to protect it from scratches and possible nicks, especially if it is stored with other pieces of jewelry. The pouch does not have to come from a designer store or even have a name brand. All you need is a pouch that fully covers the entire piece comfortably.
4) For a quick clean, use a Sterling Silver polishing cloth. You can purchase these at Wal-Mart and various Department Stores.
5) Silver Cream and a soft cloth can be used for a more thorough cleaning. Dab a small amount of Silver Cream on a non-abrasive cloth (an old used T-shirt will do), and rub gently onto the silver piece that you would like to clean. Be careful not to use too much Silver cream – using a lot of cream does not increase the polishing effect. Some of the cream could also get stuck in the crevices of your jewelry piece. Immediately after polishing, rinse the piece with tap water and mild soap. Pat dry with a soft cloth.
6) Do not clean your silver piece with Toothpaste. Although you may read articles touting Toothpaste as an alternative “cream” to cleaning your silver piece, it is highly abrasive and may cause damage and scratching to your beautiful silver jewelry.
Follow these tips and you can be assured that you will continue to enjoy your Sterling Silver piece for a very long time!
Back to Tips & Guides page.
For any questions or comments on the piece, please contact us at: Sales@Madison880.com